The Iowa Print Sports Writers Association was formed February 2018 to help carry on the tradition of selecting all-state teams, which aim to honor Iowa's best high school athletes in football, boys basketball, girls basketball and baseball.
The association will be overseen by a board of directors. The initial 10 directors will be:
- Scott Spurgeon (President), Bloomfield Democrat
- Kyle Ocker (Vice President), Centerville Daily Iowegian
- Lori Wiser (Secretary/Treasurer), Ocheyedan Press-Melvin News
- Jeff Linder, Cedar Rapids Gazette
- Kevin White, Council Bluffs Daily Nonpareil
- Dan Voigt, Emmetsburg Reporter/Democrat
- Perry Bell, Knoxville Journal-Express/Pella Chronicle
- Ross Thede, Marshalltown Times Republican
- Matt Gengler, Missouri Valley Times-News
- Jeff Budlong, Sioux City Journal
The Iowa Daily Press Association began picking all-state teams in 1934. The Iowa Press Association and the Iowa Daily Press Association combined in 1982 to form the Iowa Newspaper Association. The then-newly formed Iowa Newspaper Association continued the all-state program under the new association name. After the Iowa Newspaper Association's board of directors voted on Jan. 31, 2018 to end their all-state program, the Iowa Print Sports Writers Association was formed in February 2018 to continue the program.
For more information on the association or for how you can become involved, email email@example.com or Tweet us @iasportswriters. Also, like us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/iasportswriters.